Apply for Master of Applied Statistics (MAPST) at Victoria University of Wellington (VUW), New Zealand (for Beijing Institute of Technology, Zhuhai students only)
1. Get an initial approval from the chairperson in Department of Statistics, BITZH
2. Download the application form from
3. Submit the following documents to the chairperson in Department of Statistics, BITZH
· Application form
· Personal statement (2 pages)
· Transcripts (GPA B+ or better).
· At least one recommendation letter
· Proof of English Language Proficiency (IELTS overall band of 6.5,
no sub-score below 6). Alternatively, you can apply to study the VUW English Proficiency programme (EPP).
5. Deadlines: 30 Nov, 20 Jan, 31 March. If an application is submitted by 30 Nov, the result will come out before the end of Jan.
6. Students can start the programme in March, July. The enrolment in November is also possible with a special arrangement with Ivy Liu.
Apply for VUW English Proficiency programme (EPP)
1. Download the form from
The detail about the programme can be found from
2. Submit the following documents to the chairperson in Department of Statistics, BITZH
· Application form
· Current IELTS result
3. The chairperson email all applications to the Liaison at Victoria International Office. In 2017, the Liaison is Alicia Bunge (Alicia.email@example.com).
4. Students can start the programme in March, July, or November.
5. If the IELTS score is 6.0, students could be able to meet the English requirement of IELTS 6.5 overall with no sub-score below 6.0, after finishing the VUW EPP. If the IELTS score is lower than 6.0, it might take more than one trimester of EPP to meet the English requirement.
Timelines (e.g., for the enrolment of MAPST in March)
· Nov (Jan or March) -- applying for Master of Applied Statistics.
· For students who have met the English requirement
o June – providing certificated copied of your graduation certificate and final academic transcript written in Chinese and English; providing a certified scan of your IELTS result. Note: The chairperson in Department of Statistics at BITZH can provide the verification of the scans.
o Sept/Oct – Paying the tuition fee and applying for a visa.
o Feb – coming to Wellington
· For students who have not met the English requirement and plan to take the VUW EPP
o May-July – applying for the EPP
o Aug/Sept – applying for a visa (using the offer of EPP to get a 3-month student visa)
o Nov – coming to Wellington to study the EPP
o Feb – If the English requirement is met after finishing the EPP, extend the 3-month visa to a one-year student visa for Master of Applied Statistics. It can be done at VUW.
o March – starting the Master of Applied Statistics programme.